Food Technology Consultant
David is the principal of Foodtech Applications
Ltd. His experience is based on over 25 years of applying
food technology and management skills across a broad cross-section
of food industry companies.
Areas of expertise include mentoring and hands-on product and
process development (also labelling and compliance) and enhancing
food safety & quality through development of food safety
plans and problem solving.
Food Safety & Quality
Food safety and quality of your food products can be enhanced
· Development of Food Safety Plans (including HACCP studies)
· Allergen assessment and control (including VITAL)
· Factory and supplier auditing
· Quality System documentation including design of check sheets, process flow diagrams, work instructions and procedures
· Shelf life assessments and improvements
Mentoring and/or hands-on assistance for developing and marketing your new products including:
· Product recipe development and/or improvement
· Process and packaging development
· Costing, budgeting and procurement
· Labelling advice (including ingredient lists, nutrition information panels and claims)
Broad application of technical skills necessary for normal operation of a food processing or importing company, but specialising in:
· Product and process problem solving
· Documentation of recipes, procedures and specifications
· Ingredient, nutrition, allergen and claims labelling requirements to meet Australasian regulations
· Product and process re-design for cost saving, safety or sensory reasons.
Qualifications & Experience
· Bachelor of Technology (Food Technology), Massey University
· Bachelor of Business Studies (Management), Massey University
· Professional Member, NZ Institute of Food Science and Technology (MNZIFST)
· Training courses in Product Development, Project Management, Food Safety and Quality Assurance.
Extensive experience in the NZ food industry; in areas of Food Safety, HACCP, Product Development, Labelling, Regulatory Affairs:
Food Technology Consultant since 2010 to food industry clients in New Zealand and overseas as Technical Director, Foodtech
Extensive experience since 1983 in wide range of food technology
· 6 years hands-on and supervision of product development with Tip
Top Ice Cream Co. Ltd.
· 3 years in quality management with Wattie Frozen Foods Ltd.
· 10 years in product development and quality management role with Cadbury
· 6 years in technical management role with Sealord NZ Marketing
· Professional Member of NZIFST
· Past Chairman of Quality Assurance Division of NZIFST
· Assisted publication of NZIFST's first GMP handbook.
Back to the top