Gary M. Broome
Food Technologist (Microbiologist)
FoodTech - Providing Technology Worldwide For Competitive
Advantage & Business Growth
The principal, Gary Broome is extensively experienced in the Australasian and International food processing industry and is specialist in quality food production.
He is both a Food & Medical Technologist by profession and tertiary qualified with microbiology majors. He has held senior technical and managerial positions within New Zealand with major corporates such as Watties (Heinz Wattie) (Processed Foods/Canned & Beverage), Weddel (Meat), ENZA (Fresh Fruit) and Fletchers (Project establishment) and has consulted widely to industry.
Close association with key NZ & international technology and service providers, ensures the delivery of real competitive advantage to discerning clients who want the latest technology, new applications and best in terms of, operational efficiency, quality & productivity for growth & successful new market penetration.
Business Development & Management
· NZ & international business, establishment, market development and technology transfer viz., Scandinavia, Asia & South America.
· Project facilitation / management, establishment, feasibility Studies
- partial / turnkey new plants concept to commissioning
· R&D taxation & grants, including export market development applications
Market entry & start-up assistance/management for companies new to New Zealand.
NZ visitor/buyer programs
· Logistics, supply chain & business analysis & change management assistance
· Due diligence assistance for purchase / takeover initiatives
· General food plant management & mentoring, including advisory board
participation and staff training.
Food business intelligence, company introductions and new JV business establishment
· New technology transfer including innovative chilled, smart and shelf
stable processes in and out of NZ.
PR & technical / marketing assistance to Food & Medical industry companies esp
in anti-microbial intervention technologies.
· Plant audits for productivity Improvement and operational efficiencies
New Product & Process Development
· Experienced in food preservation technologies of all facets including canning and thermal processing in rigid and flexible containers.
· Expertise in CAP and innovative intervention technologies for extension of fresh food life and improved food safety.
· Plant, process/engineering design, expansions & equipment selection, production & operational assistance
· Technical assistance, lab analysis, R&D, NPD & AV, packaging applications from concept-development to market launch.
· Equipment sourcing including design, specialized development and manufacture.
Specialized processing and innovative packaging systems development and applications.
· Product sourcing, production audit & procurement. Contract packing and
Sales, marketing, account and brand establishment - FMCG experienced
Food Safety & Quality
·Specialist Consulting Microbiologist - Multidisciplined Food Technologist
- meat, fish, fruit, veges & petfood production.
·Troubleshooting & food recall particularly in pathogenic microbiological/food poisoning involve.
· Hygiene & sanitation - guidance & systems / regime & implementation in food plant contamination control.
· Food safety & quality systems overview - GMP, RMP, FSP, HACCP, MAF, NZFSA etc
· Export market assessment - process / buyer needs - incl EU, US, Kosher & Halal slaughter & processed foods compliance standards.
Qualifications & Experience
· Food Technologist … MNZIFST … Professional member of the
NZ Institute of Food Science & Technology
· Tertiary qualified in Medical Technology with majors in Biochemistry & Microbiology
· Medical Technologist … DMedLTech … (BMLSc)
· NZ State Registered Medical Technologist (NZMLB)
· ANZIMLT … Associate member of the NZ Institute of Medical
· AffilNZIOB … Affiliate of the NZ Institute of Building (NP)
Post graduate qualifications in:
· Medical Microbiology III (A ) NZMLTB - Otago Medical School
· Low Acid Foods (USDA) - Massey University
· HACCP Food Safety - Massey University
· Sales, Marketing and Business Negotiation - Foreman
NZ India Business Council Scholarship Recipient, 2000
Over 35 Years extensive domestic and international experience in NZ Food Industries
in particular (including FMCG) in senior Technical (QA, Lab, NPD & R&D), Operational,
Marketing & Senior Managerial positions with major NZ & Multinational Companies
· 6 yrs - Managing Director of own company FoodTech
International Ltd a multi-disciplined consultancy to the to
the food industry and its key equipment manufacturers & service providers
in business mentoring, new product & process development, packaging and
new technology transfer both in NZ & globally. Projects to ~NZ$10m facilitated
with client base of >40 companies including leading domestic & multinational
companies in Australasia (NZ & Aus), Scandinavia (Norway), Asia (India & China), & South
America (Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina & Chile) in particular.
· 6 yrs - Project Facilitation Manager, International
Business, The Fletcher Construction Company, Food Business
Group. Fletcher HO, Penrose Auckland - Business & Market Development - establishing food production facilities and assisting in the development/ transfer of new commercialized technology internationally. Projects to ~NZ$80m facilitated.
30 years - Food Industry business engagement in Technical, (Lab, QA, NPD, R&D), Manufacturing, Engineering, Operations, Marketing & General Management incl:
· 15 yrs Microbiologist and Technical Manager, J.Wattie
Canneries Ltd., Gisborne, now Heinz Wattie, New Zealand’s largest food processor. All QA. LAB 15/15 & NPD & R&D 7/15.
· 7 yrs as General Manager, Crown
Foods and Group Product Technical Manager for Weddel
Crown Corporation Union International UK, one of New Zealand’s
leading meat producers and active worldwide at that time - NPD, QA & R&D.
· 4 yrs as Technical Manager/Consultant to McCallum
Industries…. domestic and export processed meat and organic baby foods manufacturer - NPD & QA rigid & flexible.
· 1 yr on Executive NZ Apple & Pear Marketing Board as Supply & Quality Manager for ENZA
· 3 yrs active consulting widely to industry as Director of own company Foodtech
Back to the top
M. Broome, ANZIMLT, MNZIFST
Director, FoodTech International Ltd
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Telephone: +64 9 57 55 133
Mobile: 021 161 0311