Continuity, Quality Management and Food Safety Consultant
Lesley is an experienced risk, crisis, quality and food safety professional. She has over 30 years' experience in the food, meat and dairy industries in New Zealand and Australia. In that time Lesley has been a pioneer in developing risk and quality management programs, strategies and processes for one of New Zealand's leading FMCG companies as well as handling material business interruption events. Lesley is a proven operator that can assist any size firm, from SME's to corporate, with identifying opportunities to improve systems, avoid a wide range of risks and be prepared to manage business emergencies.
As a professional member of the New Zealand Institute of Food Science and Technology (NZIFST) Lesley chaired the Quality Assurance / Food Safety Division and facilitated the development of training resources for the Food Industry which have been very successful in New Zealand and overseas.
Specialising in developing, implementing and improving Management Systems
aimed at dealing with "the things that keep you awake at night" ...
Strategic, Operational & Project Risk Assessment
· Identification and assessment of risks that impact
on a businesses ability to achieve objectives (ISO/NZS:31000
Risk Management Systems)
· Determining the effectiveness of systems and controls that prevent or correct risks. Identifying and managing implementation of improvements.
· Developing and implementing Crisis Management and Business Continuity Plans (ISO:22301, Business Continuity Institute Good Practice Guide)
· Testing the effectiveness of implemented controls through reviews and audits
· Desktop Exercises and Simulations that stress test Crisis Management, Business Continuity and Product Recall Plans
· Leading and Managing responses to Business Interruption events, investigating causes and conducting debriefs
· Set up and Testing of Third Party Recovery Sites
Asset Protection and Insurance Loss Prevention
· Review and Development of programs and standards aimed at reducing risk and insurance costs
· Asset Protection Improvement Projects such as Hazardous Areas
(Combustible Dusts, Flammable Gases and Vapours), Metal Halide Lighting, Sprinkler
Systems, Combustible Building Materials
· Asset Protection Training
· Audits of Contract Manufacturers and Warehousing
Quality Management / Food Safety
· Review and development of Quality Management Systems and Food Safety Programs
· Development of and training in practical systemic processes
· Product Recall Plan development, training and auditing
· Internal, Contract Manufacture and Warehousing Audits
Legal Compliance Programs
· Commerce Act
· Fair Trading Act
· Consumer Guarantees Act
· NZQA Occupational Health & Safety (Hazard Identification & Risk Assessment, Incident Investigation)
· Diploma in Business (Personnel Management & Employment Relations) University of Auckland
· Lead Audit IQA
· NZ Certificate in Science - Technicians Certificate (Microbiology) Auckland Technical Institute
· Technical development, coaching, facilitation, process support, project management and liaison with external and internal stakeholders in relation to risk management, business continuity, asset protection, insurance, safety, health, environment, quality assurance and food safety
· Developed relationships to improve group risk profiles with Suppliers, Warehousing, Customers, External Auditors, Insurers, Brokers and Recovery Site Service Providers
· Monitoring and management of Legal Compliance program
· Laboratory restructure, implementation of TQM philosophy and HACCP
· Day to day management of laboratory, finished product and raw material testing, issues management and supplier relations
Auckland Regional Public Health Service (Contract) July-September 2015 - Emergency Planner, reviewing their emergency plan following their EBOLA response and debrief.
Goodman Fielder 2000 - 2014 - Risks and Crisis Management roles at Corporate and Divisional levels, Quality Systems / Assurance and Food Safety roles at Bluebird Foods from1988 to 2000.
ETA Foods Limited 1983-1988 - Laboratory Supervisor, Quality Control and Raw Materials testing roles.
2016 Conference Committee - Navigating the Challenges stream Curator and Crisis Simulation Workshop
FIT Course Product Recall Workshops - November 2014, May 2015
Project Team member - 1999 2nd Edition Good Manufacturing Practice Guide for the Food Industry & Food Safety Video, 1992 1st Edition Good Manufacturing Practice Guide for the Food Industry
NZIFST Secretary 1998 - 1999
NZIFST Food Microbiology / Safety Symposiums, Listeria Seminars 1993 - 1995
NZIFST Quality Assurance Division Chairperson 1993 - 2000
Member, Risk Management professional body
Back to the top